THE FIRE WITHIN!

Have you ever experienced a day so good that you felt an insane adrenalin rush? I felt that today. In fact, I'm still feeling it... My day began at 9 am with a hearty breakfast (That's one meal I don't take lightly ever!). I rushed to my dentist (which was thankfully stress free!) and then headed for a long screenplay discussion with my best friend, screenplay, dialogue writer & lyricist, Niranjan Iyengar. 


This was followed by two quick meetings with two new writers who came to pitch their screenplays to me. Young, crystal clear about what they want, bursting with great ideas, eyes filled with fire, hungry to fulfill their aspirations, ambitious and enthusiastic! I love meeting such writers. It somehow fires me up too! Having said that, as great as the ideas sound, not all of them translate into great screenplays. And that's why I tell most of the writers: don't give me a great idea, give me a fantastic screenplay. 


The movie that will fire up the Box Office on January 26th!
After my fruitful discussions with Niranjan and these two promising writers, I headed for my office - Dharma Productions, to meet Karan Johar. The phones buzzed incessantly, as Clara, the receptionist, looked absolutely unfazed. The CEO, Apoorva Mehta discussed animatedly in a meeting. Karan's assistants ran around, preparing for the next schedule of Student Of The Year! Garima Vohra, Karan's most efficient personal assistant, despite being swamped with work and answering people's questions (mine included!) looked as calm as a placid lake! What I admire about Garima is that you never hear a 'no' for an answer. Any phone number, any information, about anything in the world, any travel issue, she will sort them for you. She's quite the rock at Dharma!


Busybee Karan!
Considering I'm heading the creative development at Dharma, I met Karan Johar today, after what seemed like eons! Despite being busy with his directorial venture, Student Of The Year, promotions of Agneepath and hundred other meetings, Karan looked far from the "zombie" he says he has become! He looked fresh, upbeat and happy. No matter what he says, about wanting a long break, it was evident that he loved the frenzy. After a long discussion on scripts and other matters, I left Dharma. But not before I also met Tarun Mansukhani at the extended Dharma office - Costa Coffee below our office! Yes, and Tarun has a permanent table there. All they have to do is engrave his name on it! 


As I walked out of the building, I bumped into another writer who has written a few films and lyrics for songs. This person was a contrast image of the writers I had met earlier in the day. The fire replaced by cynicism. The hunger replaced by arrogance. Ambitious to the point of manipulation.  And the fresh enthusiasm replaced by a jaded, know-it-all look. New ideas & screenplays replaced with a hunger to fit in and make a quick buck! Are the younger lot of writers in a tearing hurry to reach the finishing line that they are burning themselves out? Because this is certainly not the look on the face of an experienced writer like Gulzar, who has written for over 100 films! I just hope the young breed of writers don't fall prey to the rat race syndrome!



Comments

  1. Ryan,
    You have very good pacing in this blog. I felt the fastness, excitement and enthusiasm as your day unfolded followed by the disappointment felts when chatting with the veteran writer.

    The veteran writer's feelings are universal to many veteran writers. I can't tell you how many vet writers I have met in America who are burned out and felt the industry has taken all from them, not vice versa. As a result many are not willing to help new writers gain a foot in the door or begin their careers.

    My motto is, if you aren't having fun, go do something else. If you are stuck, reinvent yourself. Look at Rekha she still finds work from time to time.

    To your point about a great script, I think it is born with a great idea but harvested from both writer and producer. If you like an idea and the pitch then the script will be fleshed out in due course...provided the passion is there.

    Very enjoyable post :)

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blogs are getting better by the day Ryan!! You're charged up day seems to have transpired into a charged up blog today! Only that its just the fire and enthusiasm in me that's charged up or rather recharged!!
    Keep them coming! From learning to value the small pleasures of life,to salivating over non veg food and to learning an important lesson you're blogs are soon turning into a daily habit for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops just checked the typo error! I meant your charged up day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karan I'm glad you're taking notes! LOL. Thanks Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    I have been trying to get in touch with your company for a story I have written. I want a professional's feedback on it. I know this is the wrong place to write all this but I've tried many other ways to contact Garmia but luck isn't favoring me. If possible and you find time out of your busy schedule than can you reply me and tell if the concept I've written is striking a chord within you? The message I've sent thru email to Dharma Productions is quoted below:

    "I have written a short story that partially based on Kunan Poshwara Incident. This incident occurred in Kashmir where Indian military was accused of raping women of all ages in the Kupwara district during an interrogation operation. I'm not a professional writer, but I think the soul of this story is very important to get out to public, because many Indians in mainland (Urban parts of the country) India are not aware of the situations the story presents. To give you the core of the theme, I have written this one liner ""Har Army wala desh bhakt nahi hota, aur har Kashmiri desh drohi nahi hota". I hope I get an opinion from you."

    I know most likely you will not have time to read all this and I shouldn't have posted this message on your blog, but I live in the States and have very limited contact to India, so I found this way to be my best way to reach out to you. If your interst level peaks after reading my long message than please reply and I will send you the whole story, since I'm unalbe to attach the story on this message.

    Sorry to bother you but I have this drive inside me to get this story out to public.
    Thanks for taking time to read this. It really means alot.

    Dipam Shah,

    dshahtcmc@gmail.com
    Pennsylvania, USA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts