DEATH BY GARLIC!



How often are you plagued by the question, 'What do I cook today'? Almost everyday, right? Well, most men won't bother answering this question. But a lot of women will identify with my plight! And wait, before all you mothers, daughters, housewives raise your well-shaped eyebrows, let me tell you, some of us single men do face this inevitable question more often than you think! 


I'm a bachelor in Bombay & believe it or not,  I love cooking. Okay, love might be an understatement. Cooking is a passion, an obsession. When people walk into my kitchen, they're shocked. I don't blame them. I've seen many a bachelor kitchen. Sigh! But mine, is unlike any of those... My refrigerator groans with meat, fish, chicken, eggs, veggies, fruits, herbs, all sorts of cheese, sauces, soup stocks, wine, beer, soft drinks... The pantry has all sorts of local & International spices, pastas, risottos and ingredients... In fact, my housemaid, Jacinta calls my kitchen a mini Hypercity or Nature's Basket! 


And despite having a well stocked kitchen, I'm inevitably faced with the dilemma, 'What to cook'!  I dread Jacinta's, "Kya pakaane ka bhaiyya?  (What should I cook?)" query! Whether I am in the middle of a TV show discussion, reading a script, on the phone or watching a film, she won't give a rat's ass! I have to stop whatever I am doing and answer her. Never mind the fact that she's my cook and has to be imaginative! After I had run out of ideas, I turned to Bhaav, who painfully looked up from his dance routine plans, clearly disinterested. He couldn't be bothered. One, he doesn't know 'C' of cooking! And two, he's not much of a foodie, you see. So, it's always upto me to decide... 


Not only do I have to plan the menu, I also have the onus of planning the menu with care! I have to consider the fact that Bhaav doesn't eat certain vegetables, any fried stuff or anything fattening... Fed up of Jacinta's Dal, Roti, Sabzi & Salad everyday, I decided to come up with something that would excite my senses, whet my appetite and satiate my palate! So now, I just sleep over it every night and let my body decide what I want. Every morning when I open my eyes, I know what I'd like to eat! I can feel it in my bones. But it's poor Jacinta, who has no clue what she's going to be hit with every morning. And if it's too taxing to teach her what I want, I just take the ladle in my hand and dish it out myself! Like my take on the classic Aglio Olio, which I'd like to call Death By Garlic! Clearly, this dish is for all garlic lovers. And I LOVE GARLIC!!!


What I love about this classic Italian dish, Spaghetti Aglio E Olio, is that it's the simplest and most comforting dish to cook & eat! And guess what, you don't even have to go shopping! Unless, you don't have the three main ingredients - a good quality Olive Oil, lots of Garlic & a good quality Spaghetti. If you do then you have a great meal in 10 minutes! So here it is, my first recipe! Hope you enjoy!


Death By Garlic!
My Twist to the classic Aglio E Olio!


Drop 200g Spaghetti in large dish of salted boiling water until al dente. Salt the pasta water generously – it should taste like seawater. Now, most pasta packets have cooking instructions at the back, but I’d recommend checking 3 minutes before the instructed time. (I hate my pasta mushy and soft like most restaurants dole out! Yes, even the so called, celebrated,  Italian Ristorantes don’t get their pasta right!) Anyway, drain and keep aside a cup of the water in which you’ve cooked the pasta. This will help the pasta stay moist and juicy.

Now, take a large pod… Yes, you heard me right! I repeat… A large pod of chopped or nicely crushed garlic, a couple of crushed, dried chillies or whole or flakes, a nice small bunch of freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley and a good glug (about 4 Tbsps) of olive oil into a pan. Please note: I said Olive Oil, and NOT Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

In a pan over low heat, pour olive oil. Once hot, add the garlic and red chillies. Please don’t heat the garlic and chilli too much. It will impart a bitter taste. Toss the spaghetti into the pan. Gently cover the pasta with the oil and garlic. Plate it and garnish with the chopped Parsley and freshly grated Parmigiano cheese!


You can always add sliced or whole olives, marinated artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, chopped anchovies, toasted breadcrumbs, lemon zest, shavings of parmesan or shredded basil leaves. Although, Bhaav loves adding grilled vegetables and chicken to it! That’s the versatility and simplicity of this brilliant dish!













Comments

  1. Ryan! Trust you to not make a recipe-blog sound boring and add a personal touch to that as well!! My fav dish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slurp!!!!!!! Slurp!!! Slurp!!!! I love garlic too... So wouldnt mind getting killed by it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will cook it for you soon Bhaav! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing, looks great, sounds so simple....its like a quick fix.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts