PASTA CRAVINGS!



Last evening I had this huge craving for pasta and Greek Salad! Soon enough, I found myself in my kitchen sipping on a good red wine, stirring a rich tomato sauce. This is my quick version of an Arrabiata. An hour later, I found my friends devouring dinner! So here's the recipe!

ASPARAGUS WITH PENNE ABRRABIATA


Ingredients:
400 grams Penne Pasta 
100 grams tender Asparagus, trimmed and chopped to bite size pieces.
2 cans of whole tomatoes (I use the Waitrose ones, which has a lovely, rich red colour and tastes delicious!)
1 large onion, chopped into fine cubes
6 cloves Garlic, chopped fine... (Yeah! I'm partial to garlic. Love it! You could use as per your liking)
A small bunch of fresh Basil leaves, torn, not chopped
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated 
1 Tsp freshly ground chili flakes (I use half teaspoon more for garnish, but you could omit it out, if you don't like it too spicy.)
2 Tbsps. Olive oil (Not Extra Virgin, just a good quality regular Olive Oil)
Salt & freshly ground pepper

Method:
Trim and blanch the asparagus. In a dish, heat olive oil and add the onion. As soon as they are translucent, throw in the garlic. Please do not brown the onions or garlic.  Saute and add the tomatoes with the juices & chili flakes and stir. I don't chop the tomatoes earlier. I let it break down on its own. I love the chunky bits of tomatoes, but if you want, you could chop them earlier and add them. I add a little water to the cans just to get all the tomato juice out and stir it into the dish. As soon as the sauce reaches a boil, I simmer it down for 30 minutes, stirring it often so that it doesn't catch. After 20 minutes, I boil 2 litres water for the pasta. As soon as the water boils rapidly, I throw in the pasta and a generous amount of salt. I cook it for about 8 to 10 minutes as per the packet's instructions. By now, the sauce has a nice thick consistency. I add salt, pepper, the blanched asparagus and roughly torn basil leaves and stir.  Finally, I throw in half of the grated Parmesan cheese and stir. As soon as the pasta is done, I toss it into the sauce and coat the pasta well with the sauce. The sauce should be just enough to coat the pasta. The pasta shouldn't be swimming in the sauce.
Serve garnished with 1/2 tsps. Chili flakes, the balance Parmesan cheese and basil leaves. Serve hot with a baguette or better, garlic bread!

GREEK SALAD
 
Ingredients:
2 Cucumbers cut into cubes
3 packets of firm, Cherry Tomatoes, cut into halves
1 Green Pepper (Capsicum), cut into cubes
One small onion, sliced
A handful pitted Kalamata & green Olives, cut into halves (Although, I always throwing in more!)
100 grams Feta Cheese
2 Tbsps. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
Juice of one lemon
Fresh/dry Oregano leaves
Salt & pepper to taste


Method:
Whisk the EVOO, lemon, oregano leaves, salt & pepper well and keep aside. Toss the vegetables and drizzle the dressing only when you're about to serve. Crumble half the feta cheese, toss and garnish the salad with the balance, crumbled feta and oregano and serve!

Enjoy with friends, ample amount of red wine and Bossa Nova music in the background... A combination that can never go wrong!





Comments

  1. brilliant im gonna make it tomo..!!! thnx for everyhting.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts